Guided by Sharon Watt (Boardwalk Empire, The Watcher, Mr. Robot), this 2-day online workshop will give participants an introduction to the important role played by the Script Supervisor.
Jan 13, 2024 - Jan 14, 2024
Workshop Fee: $350
Workshop Duration: 8 hours over 2 sessions (Saturday & Sunday, 1-5pm ET)
Workshop Location: Online
Class Size: 15
NOTE: This Course will be held in a live, Online Format using the Zoom Platform.
Class meets online Saturday & Sunday, Jan 13 & 14 from 1-5 pm ET.
This 2-day online workshop will give participants an introduction to the important role played by the Script Supervisor. You will be guided by Sharon Watt, who has over two decades of experience working as a Script Supervisor on films and TV shows such as Boardwalk Empire, Stoker, Mr. Robot, The Night Of, Café Society, The Time Traveler’s Wife, and The Watcher.
Some of the topics we will examine:
- The role and responsibilities of the Script Supervisor
- Story chronology, how to break down a script and prep for a production
- The importance of timing: pre-timing a script, timing the shot, accounting for running time
- Film grammar, shot terminology and visual storytelling
- How to supervise a scene: tracking dialogue, continuity, blocking, and logging the media
- Making it cut – coverage, eyelines, screen direction, crossing the axis, and matching action
- Script notes for the Editor: daily report, daily shooting log, facing pages, lined script
- Working with the Director, actors, and other production departments
- Set etiquette and a day in the life of a script supervisor from call time to wrap report.
In addition to lectures and case studies, there will be engaged discussion, exercises, and scene study. We will touch on various digital tools that facilitate the script supervisor’s work on a modern film set. The class will also look at how to get started and what job opportunities exist in this area of the industry.
Leave the weekend with a new understanding of how vital a script supervisor is in film and TV production.
Instructor: Sharon Watt
Sharon Watt has accumulated over twenty years of experience working as a Script Supervisor in narrative feature film and episodic television, working with directors such as Tim Van Patten, Steve Zailian, Woody Allen, Sam Esmail, Park-Chan Wook, and Alma Har'el. Feature credits include Stoker, Café Society, Lost Girls and Mothering Sunday; television includes Boardwalk Empire, Mr. Robot, The Night Of, The Time Traveler’s Wife, The Watcher, and the upcoming Lady In The Lake.
Sharon also administers NYSSN, the New York Script Supervisors Network, and serves on the executive board of IATSE Local 161. Originally from the northeast of England, she came to New York to pursue film production after studying Media Arts at the University of London.