Dive into the world of digital photography in our immersive 6-week Summer Photo School for budding young photographers of all levels.
Jun 24, 2024 - Aug 2, 2024
Workshop Fee: $12295
Workshop Duration: 6-weeks
Workshop Location: On-campus
Class Size: 10
This workshop is a part of the 2024 summer Academy program.
Book before December 31st, 2023 and save $300 on any 2-week Academy workshop or $1000 for the 6-week summer school programs. Early Bird discounts will be applied automatically & cannot be combined with any other offers.
FilmmakingNote: Workshops can also be taken individually.
6-Week Summer Film School (Jun 24 - Aug 2, 2024)
• 2-Week Film School (Jun 24 - Jul 5, 2024)
• 2-Week Advanced Film School (Jul 8, 2023 - Jul 19, 2024)
• Finishing Strong: Editing & Post-Production (July 22 - August 2, 2024)
PhotographyNote: Workshops can also be taken individually.
6-Week Summer Photo School (Jun 24 - Aug 2, 2024)
• 2-Week Digital Photography (June 24 - July 5, 2024)
• 2-Week Advanced Digital Photography (July 8, 2024 - July 19, 2024)
• Scholastic Portfolio Development (July 22 - August 2, 2024)
Book Arts & Design
Midcoast Maine Summer Arts Expedition (July 22 - August 2, 2024)
Explore the world of photography in Maine Media Academy’s 6-week Photo School! Our comprehensive program consists of three transformative 2-week workshops. Begin your journey with Digital Photography, where you’ll master the fundamentals. Progress to Advanced Digital Photography, delving deeper into advanced techniques and creative expression. Finally, refine your skills and develop a compelling portfolio in the Scholastic Portfolio Development. Join us for an enriching and skill-enhancing photography journey that will shape your passion into a powerful visual narrative.
From Our Awesome Students:
“Maine Media Academy was a great experience, a place to meet fellow teen artists and learn from experienced staff”
– Aaron Mason, Noblebaro, ME
“I learned that there are so many tricks to photography.”
– Kyra Hahn, Nazareth, PA
“I think every kid should experience Maine Media because it is truly a gift and I feel so lucky to be a part of it.”
– Julia Plummer, Falmouth, ME
“Going to Maine Media Workshops was a great experience for me because it gave me more confidence about my photos.”
– Kelly Zimmerhanzel, Schertz, TX
“I learned a lot, met new friends, ate new food, and photographed it up!”
– Liv, New York, NY
“I think the training and programs we got to use were amazing”
– Hannah Bolduc-Jackson, Raymond, ME
“Maine Media is the perfect place to meet people who share your same interest and work together as a creative group of young artists.”
– Giacomo Cabrini, Milan, Italy
About the Maine Media Academy
For over 30 years, each summer the Academy at Maine Media cultivates the next generation of photographers, filmmakers, and book artists through expert learning opportunities. Academy students join a longstanding community of artists and visual storytellers committed to building a legacy of mentorship and lifelong creative learning. Instructors in the program are accomplished working artists and professionals who are dedicated to the personal success and artistic journey of their students. Students will be surrounded by peers who share their passions and are guided by working artists who encourage creativity as they instruct them in the latest skills and techniques and help create portfolio-level work.
Brief Academy Overview:
- Student days are comprised of both classroom and field/location work: lectures and critiques, demonstrations, shooting, editing, writing, computer workflow, and/or digital lab work, depending on the workshop. All instructors are talented industry professionals as well as experienced educators, and each works with a teaching assistant, providing additional support for their class. The students are busy all day and into the mid-evening hours.
- All students reside in our campus residence, occupying the lower floor. Rooms are all private baths with a maximum of three students per room (most will be doubles). Resident Advisors (RAs) also reside on the same floor to monitor and supervise. The upper floor is occupied by non-Academy adult workshop attendees who will have little exposure or direct interaction with the Academy students.
- During the week, all meals are taken together in the dining facilities directly across the street. Weekend meals are taken in the local economy and transported by the RA’s – or sometimes do cookouts. This cost is included in the tuition package. Parents may indicate any special dietary needs upon registration.
- RAs supervise the students when not in class and help make group decisions about weekend activities which may include swimming, bowling, movies, and hiking. Coin laundry facilities are available on campus.
- A lobster dinner is served (there are other choices) on the last Friday night of each workshop, and all Maine Media students gather for an evening presentation of highlights from the week’s work. Parents are welcome to attend, and meal tickets may be purchased in the Registration Office.
- We recommend students have access to $150 over the two-week period for incidentals, snacks, movies, field trips, etc.
- Check-in is on Sunday, between 3 and 6 and departure is on Saturday morning.
- Tuition includes accommodation, access to campus amenities, transportation once the workshop has begun, meals (including a lobster dinner!), Resident Advisors, and Teacher’s Assistants.
- Students may request a transcript be sent to their high school for possible credit.