There are no available registration dates at this time.
NOTE: This class will be held in a live, online format using the Zoom platform
Class meets on Tues Apr 26th, May 3rd, and May 10th | 1pm-3pm ET.
Long before animation and motion pictures, we had optical toys! In this workshop, participants will create a collection of movable paper toys developed in the early 19th century, including a zoetrope, phenakistoscope, jumping jack puppet, and surprise prank box. Each participant will receive a mailed materials kit prior to the workshop. Through guided instruction, students will construct a collection of paper toy models with templates and the tools necessary to create your own optical toy content.
Supplies/tools that students will need to have on hand, understanding that a kit will be provided
- X-Acto knife or scalpel and extra blades
- PVA glue (white paper craft glue) and glue brush
- waste paper (newsprint or scrap mail for gluing on)
- cutting mat (or several layers of cardboard for cutting on)
- ruler at least 12″
- small triangle 3″-4″
- bone folder
- tape – masking or painter’s tape
- bookbinding or sewing needle
Helpful but optional materials:
- gluestick (recommend Uhu brand)
- utility knife “box cutter”
Instructor: Keri Schroeder
Keri Miki-Lani Schroeder is a book artist based in San Antonio, Texas. She produces limited-edition artist’s books under the imprint of Coyote Bones Press, and teaches at various institutions. Keri…