Learn how to break into being a voice actor for audiobooks, films, commercials, and video games.
There are no available registration dates at this time.
So you want to be a voice actor? This week-long workshop will point the way. Guided by Nancy German, a voice actor for major brands for over 25 years, you’ll explore the dynamics of putting your voice to work in this complex and lucrative business.
Over the week we will explore these and other topics:
Voice and Genre
- What do you need to understand about your voice and personality for voice over work?
- Different genres of voice acting and how they affect the voice.
- Outlets for work: Commercial, E-Learning, Animation, Video Games, Apps, Audio Books, Audio Description, Promo, Narration/Documentary, IVR, Corporate.
- Taking good care of your money-maker/voice.
- Improv: why it is important to your skill set and how it will help your performance and confidence.
- Developing characters for your toolbox.
- Script analysis.
- The mechanics of a directed session.
- Recording with audio-performance critique and direction in groups and monologues.
- What skills do you need to stay current?
- Accountability buddies, workout groups, and ways to stay cutting edge and competitive.
- How to set up a recording studio at home.
- The business of voiceover: what do you need to know to find jobs, market, and succeed?
- What lifestyle do you want in voice over and how do different genres affect that?
- Getting started: Commercial Demo, Website, Coaching, Pro studio setup.
- The expenses and business basics of voice acting as a career or side hustle.
- Agents, Rosters, and Managers.
- Where does your voice live in the marketplace?
- Trends and why you need to stay on top of them.
- Resources to help you grow your business.
- Where to get free help.
The workshop will cover all this – and more.
Leave the week with an understanding of what it takes to get started in this extraordinary business.
Instructor: Nancy German
Nancy German has been a voice actor for over twenty-five years. She has voiced commercials for companies such as Sony, Nissan, Neutrogena, Lamborghini, Bayer and many more.
She has also enjoyed playing video game and animation characters like the warrior “Sapphire” from Heroes of Neuwirth, a “cool grandma” in an animation film by Academy Award-nominated Taiko Studios as well as voicing a plethora of others including fortune tellers, talking wine bottles, elder witches , whispering tree women and other unique characters.