UPDATED September 2023
JOB CLASS Non-exempt, Part-time, thru October/November
REPORTS TO Executive Chef
COMPENSATION $15 to $20/hour based on experience.
Performs a wide range of duties involved with preparing and/or serving food and beverages in a food service environment. May perform such duties as preparing salad items, hot foods, and/or cold foods for buffet, sort and wash dishes, cleaning work areas, equipment, utensils; and collection of garbage/trash.
The work schedule for this position is Monday to Friday with a maximum end time of 9pm.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sorting and washing all dishes, utensils, pots, and pans while monitoring water temperatures.
- Follow prescribed procedures in setting up hot and cold food lines; chooses proper utensils and set steam line to appropriate temperature for menu items.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of hot and cold meat and vegetable dishes, beverages, salads, sandwiches, pie fillings, simple bakery items, salad dressings, and/or other similar food items, as appropriate to the position.
- Clean serving & work areas.
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Assist cooks and kitchen staff with various tasks as needed and provide cooks with needed items.
- Wash, peel and/or cut various foods to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Receive and store food supplies, equipment, and utensils in refrigerators, cupboards, and other storage areas.
- Stock cupboards and refrigerators and tend salad bars and buffet meals.
- Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers.
- Prepare and serve a variety of beverages such as coffee, tea, and soft drinks.
- Carry food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas.
- Make special dressings and sauces according to supervisors’ instructions.
- Scrape leftovers from dishes into garbage containers.
- Use manual and/or electric appliances to clean, peel, slice, and trim foods.
- Stir and strain soups and sauces.
- Butcher and clean fowl, fish, poultry, and shellfish to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Cut, slice and/or grind meat, poultry, and seafood to prepare for cooking.
- Mix ingredients for green salads, fruit salads, vegetable salads, and pasta salads.
- May provide guidance and training to other employees performing related work.
- Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects that can weigh 30 lbs and up to 50 lbs