Personal Safety & Crime Prevention Tips
Date Revised: September 2021
BE ATTENTIVE AND PREPARED!
Maine Media Workshops + College is located in a small village with a very strong reputation for safety. Maine Media does have however, recommend that all staff, students, faculty, and visitors take precautions when they are on the Maine Media’s campus. Security cameras are used in public areas to deter crime and to assist in protecting the organization community and property.
PERSONAL HEALTH & SAFETY
- Wear appropriate footwear for the weather. If pathways are icy or dangerous, please contact the Operations & Maintenance Director, (207) 691-0691.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid isolated, dark areas.
- Consider carrying a small flashlight.
- Do not leave valuables including laptops, bags and personal electronic devices unattended or visible in classrooms, parked cars or unlocked rooms.
- Carry your cell phone and keep it charged.
- Lock your car. Lock valuables in the trunk or hide them from view.
- Know your limits with alcohol.
- Help avoid the spread of illness: wash your hands regularly and do not cough or sneeze openly.
- Campus housing entrance doors are unlocked.
- Stop and question any strangers in dorm buildings (e.g., “Can I help you with something?”).
- Notify Emergency After Hours staff at 207.691.4258 or 911 immediately of any suspicious activity.
- Keep your dorm room doors locked at all times.
- Please call Student Services to report any problems with locks.
- Never leave your dorm room unlocked and unoccupied. A thief with a target in mind only needs seconds to accomplish a task.
- Lock your dorm room when you are sleeping.
- Do not leave electronics unattended.
- Personally identify your property with an identifying number that can only be traced back to you.
- Never allow a computer to save your username or password.
- Make up passwords that are easy to remember but hard to guess or crack.
- Keep your personal computer’s virus software up-to-date.
- Lock your keyboard or log off when away from your computer.
Anytime you need immediate police, fire or medical response, call 911.
In addition, please call Emergency After Hours staff at 207.691.4258.