COVID-19 UPDATE 3/6/20
Dear Maine Media Family:
Right now, the global community is carefully watching and preparing for the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). Regardless of whether our campus is ultimately affected by this particular virus, emergency preparedness is a good use of our time. In this letter I would like to address some of the proactive steps we are taking to keep our students, faculty, and staff safe.
Note that this guidance is subject to change as the situation evolves. Because of that, we will be making periodic updates to this page.
We are actively monitoring the situation and are not planning to postpone any of our workshops. It is important to note that there are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Maine at this time.We have a fabulous lineup of classes and events for this summer, and plan to proceed while adhering to common sense precautions.
Here are some of the steps we are taking:
- We are following the recommendations and guidelines outlined by both the United States and Maine Centers for Disease Control.
- We are in contact with PenBay Medical Center and their Infection Prevention Department.
- Hygiene and etiquette recommendations will be reviewed at all staff and student orientations.
- Stations for hand sanitizer and dispensers have been installed across campus, in classrooms and in common areas.
- We are reviewing policies related to illness, absence and sick leave for staff, interns and volunteers.
- We encourage all members of our community to be mindful of prejudice and stereotypes about who may be a virus carrier, as illness and sickness have no bounds. We are a diverse institution and discrimination of any kind is not tolerated on campus.
Maine Media has an established Campus Oversight Team which includes executive members of the staff including myself. Any questions or concerns regarding the campus can be directed to us for immediate action. I hope you are all well, safe and healthy. I look forward to meeting you this summer for a creative, engaging and memorable year.