Create strong in-camera compositions.
Date: Apr 22 – 28, 2018
Levels: Beginner, Intermediate
Workshop Fee: $995
Class Size: 14
Additional Dates Offered:
Jun 24-30, 2018
Oct 14-20, 2018
Seeing photographically is what this week is all about. Join us as we learn how to create strong compositions within the camera. We do not dwell on the equipment, software or editing. During this week we will discuss the visual, intellectual and intuitive elements, which go into creating a photograph. This course is open to anyone looking for new ways to see – from the novice to the seasoned pro. Each day we explore a single aspect of photographic vision in depth.
Mornings begin with a review and critique of the previous day’s photographs, followed by lecture and discussions providing a basis for the day’s assignment and fieldwork. Experimentation is encouraged and participants are expected to stretch, explore and test new ideas. Failures and mistakes will be applauded.
Subjects covered during the week:
- The Camera Lens – Explore the lens’ ability to distort perspective, alter reality and isolate subjects through focus and depth-of-field.
- Photographic Design – Work with lines, shapes and space as the frame creates two dimensions from a three-dimensional space.
- Point of View & The Frame – Investigate the frame’s ability to edit, select, isolate, include and exclude elements in our field of vision. Examine how the camera lies to tell a greater truth.
- Light – Develop a greater appreciation for the quality of light- the direct light of noon, the soft light of dawn, the shadows of late afternoon, the diffused light as the Maine fog rolls in.
- The Culminating Picture – A single photograph, your final assignment, brings together all the elements you have examined and will be presented at the final critique.
Students are encouraged to bring a laptop for image processing and editing since this is not based in a digital lab classroom.
Winter/Spring lodging and meal package available for $475. Includes breakfast and lunch Monday – Friday. Dinner services are not available during our Winter/Spring session. Meal plan (mandatory) without lodging is $125
Header Image Credit: Paige Denkin