There actually is a predictable path to photo career success. It can be learned when you know where and how to look. This workshop is the road map.
After a photographer gains both technical and aesthetic awareness and has created an initial portfolio (or has created an new body of work) the next step on a successful career path is discovering what to do with one’s imagery and how to market it effectively.
After you ask yourself “Now what do I with this work I’ve created?!?” other questions usually arise:
- How do I make money with my camera?
- How do I get hired for assignments?
- How do I get published?
- How do I get into a gallery?
- How do I get collectors to buy my work?
- How do I keep going in the face of market changes?
- and most often: Where and how do I start?
This is the business of the photo business. Those are the questions this workshop will answer.
In this experiential and information-packed 3-day workshop, students will be guided into the world of the business of photography. They’ll come away with some strategies and ideas on how to create a viable living in photography.
Photographers will develop an actionable marketing plan for the next phase of their careers–whether just starting out in a photo career or are seasoned pros who need career revitalization.
Students will develop a better understanding of themselves and market value of their work. They will learn how to find, connect with, and land deals with prospective clients who will value the photographer’s vision.
Students who implement what they’ll learn in this class will definitely take their photo careers to the next level. They’ll be armed with knowledge about themselves and their target clients; they will gain strategic insights about the vast photo market and overlooked niches where the may thrive; they’ll have practical marketing strategies and tactics; they’ll have an action plan; and they’ll have tools, tips and resources to confidently move forward.
Topics covered in this class include:
- What is the photo market niche that’s right for your skill set, your personality and your resources that will provide success despite market changes?
- How can you discover your USP (unique selling proposition) as it applies to any photography sector (commercial, fine art, editorial, portraiture, etc.)?
- How to define “your ideal client.” Who wants your work and will pay for it?
- Where are customers? How do you find them and attract them?
- What are the components of an effective online presence (e.g.web site design content and usability features)?
- What’s an effective follow-up strategy (e.g. email, social media, etc.)
- What specific software can help easily keep track all the business tasks that must be done regularly to create opportunities and close sales. Learn the business tools that work for “creative types.”
- Discover the triggers that can attract–or turn off– a prospective client.
- How to ace an in-person networking event. Create real connections that lead to business or strategic partnerships.
- And finally...learn how to play the internal game. Learn the strategies that all winners know: learn how to deal with fear, doubt, insecurity, procrastination, cynicism, and the rejections that will inevitably occur on the path of photo business mastery.
Who should attend?
- Emerging photographers who are ready to step into the world with their work. They want assignments or see their work on people’s walls.
- Experienced pro photographers whose photo businesses have experienced a slow down and need career revitalization.
- Any photographer who needs a marketing strategy and a plan to implement their plan.
- Photographers who want to avoid the price race to the bottom and not have their work be seen as a commodity.
- Photographers who understand that finding their niche is important but don’t know where to look for it.
Former rep and current photo marketing consultant, Carolyn Potts, will share winning behind-the-scenes strategies used during her 30 years of guiding top photographers to career success through the last three 'worst downturns ever"!
She'll discuss both the timeless (e.g., portfolio content and sales techniques) and the timely (online marketing tools and social media) issues that form the basis of any successful photography business in any photography niche.
She'll also discuss "the inside job" that every successful photographer has to do on a daily basis. E.g., it's the beliefs you hold about what's necessary and what's possible to succeed that, to a large extent, determine how far you'll go.
When to arrive:
Students should pl;an to arrive Thursday at their lesiure. The workshop will begin Friday moornng at 9AM ad run until 5PM daily - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
More info is available on her blog. http://cpotts.com/blog/
Comments from recent seminar attendees and clients:
"Very practical info....I gained great insight about promotion" -DV
"When in the trenches, you fail to notice simple, effective ways to market yourself. However, when someone with a broad perspective and deep understanding of the business points them out, you immediately recognize the value and necessity of using those strategies in a marketing plan." -JP
"Carolyn gave current information for things I can use to promote my photography NOW" -ED
"There never was a regret in the time or cost to work with Carolyn. Connecting with her empowered me to live deliberately and achieve goals. The best way to ensure success is to get your mind in the right place first and then work on your business." -Kirk F.
"I only wish someone had told me about the inner aspect of business when I first started so I wouldn't have had to wait until I was 38 years old to learn these invaluable and life changing tools!! Carolyn is a pioneer and rock star for teaching photographers how to manage their inner game, a game that’s truly the foundation for any and all success." -Aimee N.
"When I first came to Carolyn I was a little stuck on where to take my photographic career next and mostly, how to get there. I had enjoyed a few conversations with other portfolio consultants before I had my initial call with Carolyn but 5 minutes into our conversation, I knew she was the person who was going to help me take my work to the next level."
"Not only does the time you spend working with her help you career-wise, she makes you look into yourself and helps you grow as a person. Never in a million years would I have imagined that I would get so much out of working with a consultant but Carolyn is more than that. She has a way of connecting with people that allows her to reflect things back to you that didn't even know were there."
"Working with Carolyn has pulled me out of my comfort zone, shown me things about myself that have helped me grow in numerous ways, we have had a few amazing AH-HA moments that literally gave me goosebumps! And, best of all, she isn’t afraid to tell you like it is. Her enthusiasm for what she is doing to help her clientele radiates through each and every meeting and empowers you to be the best and grab life by the horns." -Emily T