Director of Advancement
UPDATED: May 2022
JOB CLASS: Full-time, Year-Round
REPORTS TO: President
COMPENSATION: $80,000 – $96,000 annual commensurate with experience, plus competitive benefits package
The successful candidate will be a creative, visionary individual with great interpersonal skills and a genuine commitment to the mission of Maine Media Workshops + College. It is important that the candidate possess an authentic interest in people from all backgrounds, a talent for relationship development and a creative thought process. A proven record of cultivating prospects, soliciting major donors, and securing major gifts is a must, as is experience partnering effectively with leadership (staff and Board) and colleagues. Superior written and verbal communications skills and the ability to synthesize information into articulate and compelling cases for support is required. The Director of Advancement must be focused, organized and strategic, and work with a strong sense of urgency evidenced by great follow-up and follow-through. Fundraising operations and financial management experience as well as a clear understanding of the role played by contributed income in higher education organizations are essential. Experience supervising team members, managing committees, collaboration with outside consultants, and measuring results against clear goals with identifiable metrics for measurement are key. The successful candidate will have a proven track record leading Annual Gift Programming, Capital Campaigns and Legacy Gift Giving.
- Passion for Maine Media’s mission and clearly presented personal philosophy regarding the importance of visual and literary arts and culture to our global community
- 8+ years of development experience, including at the executive level, to earn the respect and support of various constituencies including the Board, team, donors, alumni & community leaders, and partners
- Capital Campaign experience is a must
- Experience in creating annual fundraising plans and development calendars
- Proven record of measurable accomplishments in fundraising, particularly in the areas of individual major gifts, and corporate giving, with a working knowledge of all other aspects of fundraising, such as annual campaigns, special events, foundation support, and local, state, and federal funding opportunities
- Ability to think creatively and identify new opportunities
- Demonstrated success in securing individual and corporate donors and stewarding existing relationships
- Exceptional interpersonal, networking, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Eagerness to learn, grow, and stay on top of trends in philanthropy
- Ability to collaborate on the creation of persuasive marketing materials and collateral
- Exceptional time, task, project management and organizational skills focused on both short-term and long-term strategy with an attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and effectively without close supervision
- Willingness to function effectively as a member of an Executive Leadership Team and to work across all levels of the organization to be considered a high-achieving team member for Maine Media
- Strong understanding and practice of cultural humility and respect for others
- Knowledge of Salesforce, other CRM, or fundraising software and/or systems
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life/professional experience
- Certified Executive Fundraising classification would be well-received
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize and oversee Maine Media’s institutional advancement efforts around fundraising, development, grant writing and collaborative partnerships.
- Manage the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and recognition of an increased annual contributed income target $500k and above.
- Build, manage, mentor, and maintain a team of 2-3 team members.
- Provide overall development strategy and leadership, with a particular emphasis on developing and executing the organization’s short- and long-term fundraising strategies for high-level individual giving.
- Build on development strategy planning by refining and executing the annual plan for fundraising, including identification of growth areas, measures of success, return on investment, and supporting metrics.
- Increase support from individuals, including major gifts, in support of Maine Media’s long-term sustainability and growth strategy.
- Drive and execute identification, research, cultivation, and stewardship work to attract new donors, deepen relationships with existing donors and ensure a rewarding donor experience to increase retention and annual giving.
- Become a trusted expert in Maine Media’s programming and be able to speak knowledgeably, passionately, and compellingly about organizational impact, current success stories, and mission driven initiatives.
- Collaborate with the President to ensure that funding is aligned with program needs and activities
- Work efficiently and strategically to build on organizational strengths & improve return on investment to grow Maine Media’s donor base and donor retention with an overall focus on outcomes.
- Manage development budget and revenue forecasting and report results in a timely manner
- Work with development and finance team members to maximize the capabilities of the existing CRM systems (Salesforce) and other donor resources to manage the full donation process and produce reports that inform development efforts.
- Oversee advancement and fundraising events, managing expenses and making use of outside event consultants, when necessary, to maximize return on investment.
- Oversee Maine Media’s grant preparation and applications to strengthen grant capacity, engaging consultants, and writers where necessary to maximize efficiencies, influence revenue growth strategy and conduct foundation/donor research.
- Oversee consultants and vendors working in advancement areas, ensuring that all fundraising and donor initiatives are strategic, effective, and focused on outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Communications to create clear and compelling communications to funders, donors, and community members.
- Contribute to all public relations and marketing efforts by working closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
In an accompanying cover letter, the applicant should answer the following questions:
- As with many mid-sized cultural & arts nonprofits, our leaders must strike a balance between being a visionary thinker and leader and being a “doer.” What demonstrated characteristics and skills do you have to achieve this balance?
- Please describe the balance you look for between autonomy and collaboration in this type of position.
Submit cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to [email protected]
MMW+C is a thriving community of individuals who work together and strive to educate and inspire visual artists and storytellers to achieve their creative potential. MMW + C is an inclusive, welcoming community, committed to the values of diversity of thought, culture, background, and perspective to create educational experiences that foster global communication.