250.040–SAMPLE – MFA: LETTER OF APPOINTMENT
Date Revised: March 2020
MAINE MEDIA COLLEGE
First Name, Middle, Last Name
City, State, Zip
RE: MFA COMMITTEE OF CORE FACULTY APPOINTMENT
Dear First Name,
This contract will confirm your appointment as a member of the MFA Committee of Core Faculty effective beginning June XXXX through May XXXX. In this capacity, you accept the following teaching, advising and administrative responsibilities:
- Participate actively in retreats that are scheduled two times each year, including all critiques and final session determining credits.
- Participate in a minimum of two Committee meetings each year.
- Serve as an advisor to students when assigned.
- Serve as a mentor in studio and/or academic projects as selected or assigned – mentor a minimum of two projects each year (unless other MFA program related administrative duties are assumed or assigned).
- Teach Intensives as scheduled
- Complete required student project and evaluation paperwork providing constructive evaluation and feedback that will help the student in achieving the objectives of the degree program.
- Complete subcommittee assignments on a timely basis helping to support curriculum development, accreditation, and other areas to strengthen the MFA program and the institution.
- Be knowledgeable about and supportive of policies that govern faculty, staff and students.
- Support the efforts of Maine Media in areas concerning student recruitment and retention, and related efforts to strengthen the program.
- Play a leadership role in developing and maintaining positive morale and professional relationships among and between students, faculty and staff.
- Pursue and demonstrate an active art practice or research activity or engagement in service to the school.
- Participate actively in annual performance evaluation procedure by completing self-assessment and scheduling review conversation with the MFA Chair.
You will be compensated for your services on a semi-annual basis, at a rate of $1,800 per year. Additional compensation may include: $150 for half-day faculty meetings, $300 for full day faculty meetings, $100 per year for each student advised, $238 per credit hour for each mentored project and $1000 for teaching a 5-day intensive ($500 if co-teaching).
As a member of the MFA Committee of Core Faculty you must consider it a part of your teaching duties to promote the Mission and Objectives of the College.
The validity, interpretation, construction and performance of this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Maine, irrespective of Maine’s choice-of-law principles. Any action or proceedings in connection with this Agreement or in any way relating to employee’s employment with the College or the termination thereof may only be brought in a court of record with the State of Maine, or in the United States District Court for the District of Maine. The parties executing this Agreement hereby consent to be subject to the personal jurisdiction of such courts, and the parties expressly without limitation, any and all claims arising out of the employee’s employment with the College or the termination thereof.
As a faculty member you agree to adhere to the policies and procedures in the Maine Media College Faculty Handbook. If you wish to accept this appointment, please sign this letter, with will signify your agreement to the conditions of your appointment. This form signed by you must be received in the Office of the Provost on or before date, 2015. The conditions of your employment are solely contained in this agreement.
Seen and agreed to:
cc. Human Resources
PLEASE RETURN ONE SIGNED COPY TO THE OFFICE OF PROVOST.