Life at MMW+C
Terms & Conditions
Deadlines & Notification:
The call for entries will be open from June 12, 2017 to 11:59pm EST on
September 15, 2017. All entries must be received during the call for entries and no later than 11:59pm EST on September 15, 2017 to be eligible. All entrants will be notified of their status by January 2018.
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO NOV. 17 @ 11:59 ESTCall for entries has now ended.
There is a $55 entry fee per submission (each submission includes up to 12 images). All fees are nonrefundable.
The winner will receive a $20,000 prize. The recipient of this award may not transfer the prize to another party. The winner and three finalists will be officially announced in New York City in 2018 and celebrated with an exhibit of their work. The three finalists do not receive a monetary prize.
Jurying will begin once the call for entries has closed on September 15, 2017. All jurying will be done anonymously. Images will be judged on originality, overall impact, artistic merit, technical excellence, and uniqueness of vision. The jurors will select one winner and three finalists. All decisions made by the jurors are final.
- Images may originate in any format, including but not limited to digital files, digital prints, color transparencies, color prints, or black and white prints — so long as they are submitted electronically.
- Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant Maine Media Workshops + College a license.
- For a photograph in which a person is recognizable, you must be able to provide a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian and provide it to Maine Media Workshops + College upon request. You do not need to submit it at time of entry.
- Each submitted photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the applicant. By entering the competition, entrant acknowledges that the submitted photographs are original work created solely by the applicant; that the photographs do not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity, or intellectual property rights of any person or entity; and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photographs. Photographs that violate or infringe upon another person’s copyright are not eligible.
- The photographs entered must not, in the sole discretion of the Maine Media Workshops + College, contain obscene, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable content. Entries deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
Finalists may be asked to submit a high-resolution file of at least 300 ppi at 12 inches on the longest side. Maine Media Workshops + College reserves the right to disqualify contestants who are unable to provide a high-resolution file.
All photographers of any level, and all ages, are eligible. Individuals affiliated with Maine Media Workshops + College, including current full-time or part-time year-round employees, board members, and their immediate families (children, siblings and spouses) are not eligible to enter. Maine Media Workshops + College shall determine winner eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion. This contest is not available in all countries, states or provinces where rules translation, registration, or bonding is required, and is void where prohibited.
Entrants retain all rights to their work. Entrants must own and have exclusive copyright to all images they submit. By submitting to Maine Media Workshops + College, entrants grant the use of images for the purpose of marketing by Maine Media and for display on the Maine Media and Arnold Newman Archive websites. As conditions of this permission, Maine Media Workshops + College shall attribute all photographs to the maker.
We respect your privacy. Maine Media Workshops + College will not sell, rent or exchange your e-mail address.
Legal Terms and Conditions:
- This competition is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Certain restrictions may apply. Entries void if Maine Media Workshops + College determines the entry to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
- Participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Jurors are final on all matters relating to the competition; and (c) if he/she wins that Maine Media Workshops + College may use each winner’s name, city, state, and photograph in any publicity or advertising relating to the Arnold Newman Prize. All federal, state, and local taxes on the prize are the sole responsibility of the prize recipient.
- Maine Media Workshops + College, in its sole discretion, reserves the right not to award the prize in the event that an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, and in this case will return the entry fees.
- In the event that the selected recipient of the prize is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Maine Media Workshops + College, in its sole discretion, with advice from the Arnold Newman Prize Advisory committee, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
Third Party Release/License:
Upon request by Maine Media Workshops + College, each entrant must be prepared to provide a signed, written, personal release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, authorizing us to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with and promotion of the Arnold Newman Prize, in any media now or hereafter. In addition, upon request by Maine Media Workshops + College, each entrant must be prepared to provide a signed, written, license from the copyright owner of any sculpture, artwork, or other copyrighted material that appears in the photograph entry, authorizing us to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the photograph in connection with any promotions of the competition. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
Limitation of Liability
By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless Maine Media Workshops + College and each of its partners, affiliates, agents and its employees, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in the Arnold Newman Prize or any competition-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder. Maine Media Workshops + College assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of, or unauthorized access to, Prize entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Maine Media Workshops + College is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems, or traffic congestion on the Internet, or at any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to this competition.
Right to Cancel or Suspend Contest:
If for any reason the Arnold Newman Prize is not capable of running as planned due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Maine Media Workshops + College that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this competition, Maine Media Workshops + College reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If Maine Media Workshops + College elects to cancel or terminate the competition, Maine Media Workshops will not retain any rights in the submitted entries and will return the entry fees.