240.010 – Network Bandwidth Policy
Date Revised: May 2017
Maine Media Workshop + College is committed to pursuing a sensible, efficient, and fair network usage policy in order to meet the growing bandwidth (network traffic) requirements of the entire community. The aim of this policy is to manage bandwidth use proactively in order to avoid the potential for degradation of network performance. Bandwidth usage of all computers is monitored continually on Maine Media’s firewall.
- Maine Media reserves the right to monitor the network and all attached computers to ensure compliance
- The individual is responsible for traffic generated by their computer.
- The use of peer-to-peer file sharing software generates large amounts of traffic over the network and is therefore prohibited.
- Downloading of any copyrighted materials (e.g. eBooks, software, music, videos and movies) from illegitimate sources is prohibited.
- Maine Media reserves the right to re-evaluate the applicable bandwidth, and may apply quotas to all traffic to and from Maine Media’s network.
- The intention of quota management in this policy is to avoid bandwidth consumption becoming a disciplinary issue. If any individual is observed to take action to bypass or otherwise contravene the spirit of this policy, then the disciplinary process quoted below will apply.
- An individual who has genuine Maine Media business or academic reasons for wishing to use a large amount of network bandwidth should discuss their requirement with the IT Department. However, before approaching the IT Department the individual should first gain support for their request from their supervisor or in the case of a student, a faculty member.
- Such requests will normally be granted, provided that their impact on the use of the network is not detrimental to the community as a whole. It may be required that such work be done during specific hours.
A tiered disciplinary approach is observed, with the severity of action escalating.
First Instance, a warning email or letter is sent to the individual and the administration office.
Second Instance, and individuals computer is disconnected from the network for 2 weeks. A reconnection charge of $20 applies. Reconnection is conditional upon further verification of removal or absence of peer-to-peer file sharing software.
Third Instance: An individual’s computer is disconnected from the network until further notice.
Within 24 hours of an incident, please complete Maine Media’s online incident report. Please be detailed and thorough. It is important that the names of all persons present be listed.