Maine Media College offers a Professional Certificate program and a low-residency Master of Fine Arts Degree program in the fields of Photography, Filmmaking, and Multimedia.
The school provides a focused educational experience distinguished by a dedication to craftsmanship, creativity, and critical thinking.
Located in the small village of Rockport, Maine, Maine Media College is in an area that has long attracted artists because of its supreme physical beauty. The school provides an immersive environment conducive to concentrated work. The curriculum honors historical forms and practices while embracing new technologies and modes of creative expression.
The campus provides studios, darkrooms, digital labs, library, post-production suites, fully equipped camera and technical departments, as well as a sound stage for student productions. Maine Media College students benefit from being part of the Maine Media Workshops community, interacting with visiting faculty while working with accomplished full-time faculty in the college programs.
Mission, Goals and Objectives
The mission of Maine Media Workshops and Maine Media College is to build dynamic educational communities that foster creative vision, craftsmanship and expression in the media arts.
The goals of Maine Media Workshops and Maine Media College are:
- to honor historical forms and practices while embracing new technologies and modes of creative expression.
- to provide a focused educational experience distinguished by excellence in craftsmanship, creativity, and critical thinking.
- to support the creation of exemplary work in a student’s chosen media.
- to foster intellectual and artistic growth, academic success, collaboration, and community involvement.
- to model professional practices and examine ethical responsibilities.
The objectives of the Workshops support participants in:
- exploring new modalities of expression in order to broaden their artistic range and creative experiences.
- strengthening their skills and techniques.
- engaging in dialogue with others in order to build relationships and communities that help to sustain their work in the future.
- attending presentations, exhibitions and screenings that expose them to a range of artistic expression and practice.
- celebrating creative expression and intensity of effort and collaboration within the Workshops community.
The objectives of the College Master of Fine Arts Program require students to:
- exhibit the professional intensity and high standards of a terminal degree.
- create exemplary work under the guidance of mentors that demonstrates growth in creative vision and enhances understanding of art making practices.
- participate in critiques with members of the College community and strive for rigorous self-evaluation and growth.
- demonstrate competence in interpretative analysis of creative work and in situating the work in appropriate historical, cultural and social contexts.
The objectives of the College Professional Certificate Program require students to:
- create exemplary work under the guidance of the faculty that demonstrates artistic growth and strength of craft.
- actively participate in critiques by members of the College community that lead to rigorous self-evaluation.
- learn the historical, cultural and social relevance of their chosen media form.